Tuesday 6 May 2014

Teaser Tuesday!!

I thought I'd pop in and let you all know that things are rolling along with A Witteck's Call, the second book in The Witteck Chronicles series.  I'm hoping for a July release if all goes to plan.
One of the things I love about Quelondain is the relationships between the characters there.  Two beings who are starting to steal my heart are Danny and Brice.  The human and Maj have turned into my comic relief.  They crack me up.  In this scene, the best friends are on their way up to the Northern Regions to try and find out more about the Wittecks' orbs.  Along the way, they run into a pack of rogues.  Danny, being a healer, takes it upon himself to heal one of the injured humans though it could cost him his own life.
So, here it is. :D
Today's teaser.

“Danny, look out!”  Braydon ran toward the fox who was trying to get up.  The snow under him was bright with blood.  His opponent grinned and stalked over, ready to finish the job.  Braydon’s shoulder exploded with pain as he tackled the man.  He managed to grab the dagger and forced it to the ground.  Danny moaned as he stood, shifted and pulled his dagger.  He slid the blade over the man’s throat, gave Braydon a pat on the shoulder then sat heavily on the ground.
“By the moons, Danny!  Are you alright?”  Brice knelt beside him and handed him his pack.
“I’ll live.”  He hissed through his teeth as he pulled his bloody tunic over his head and looked down at the cut that ran long his right side.  “I think he managed to break a rib.”
Brice made as if he was about the touch the injured area and stopped at the growl that rumbled through his friend.
“Just hand me the needle and thread.”  Danny inspected the cut and frowned.
“Here, Danny.  Have a shot of jeckden.”  Matthew handed him the bottle and he took two long swallows of it.
Brice cringed as Danny took a deep breath and clenched his teeth as he set to work closing the gash.  By the end of the process he was sweating and shaking so hard that Brice was sure the smaller man would faint.
He tied off the thread.
“More jeckden?”
Danny shook his head.  “I have to finish with Katie.”  He got up and made his way back to her side.
“You’re hurt.”  She frowned.
“I’ve had worse.  Now, I’ll get you to lay as still as possible.”  He looked at Braydon who had followed him in.  “I’m going to use my energy.  I’ll push it into her so that she has enough for me to heal her.”
“Danny, are you sure?”  Brice knelt beside him.  “You know you’ve been having problems controlling that one.  Hayden told you not to use it yet.”
“I can’t just let her die knowing that I might be able to save her.”  He grinned. “You know what to do if I get caught in it.  Here’s your chance to knock me around without me fighting back.  Push me off and break the connection like we’ve been doing at home.”
Brice nodded.  He wiped his hands on his pants nervously and watched Danny go through the motions of pulling waves out of the air.  Danny closed his eyes and Brice saw a shiver run through him.  Braydon frowned as Katie jerked under the healer’s hands.  Brice shook his head when it looked like he might interfere. 
“How are you doing, Danny?”  Brice was watching for the telltale signs that would alert him that Danny was losing too much energy.
“I’m good.  Just a bit more should do it.”  He smiled to show he wasn’t lying.  Suddenly, Danny slumped and Katie jerked violently.  Brice tackled his friend away from the woman.
“By the moons, Danny, wake up!”  He shook his friend and gave him small slaps to the face.  “Why did you try?  Without Hayden here to bring you back…”  He didn’t finish the thought.  “I swear, Danny, if you don’t wake up, I’ll beat you to a pulp.”  He exhaled with relief as Danny coughed and cracked open an eye.
“That hardly seems fair considering I’d be defenseless.  What the hell were you waiting for?  Spring?”  He groaned and sat up holding his head in his hands.  “Here’s hoping that was enough.”  He knelt by Katie once again and pulled a different wave over her.  “Come one, Katie, do this for me.”
She jerked and Danny smiled.  Katie moaned as everything mended.  He rocked back onto his heels then settled himself against the cave wall.
“Thank the moons!”  Braydon pulled his mate to his chest.  “Thank you, Danny.”  He looked over Katie’s shoulder to the Maj.  Danny nodded, closed his eyes, and leaned his head back.
Katie pulled away from Braydon and put hand on Danny’s arm.  “Are you alright?”
“I’ll be fine.  I just need to sleep to make up the energy I gave you.”
Brice pulled their blankets out and made a bed on the floor of the cave.  “Here’s as good a place as any.  At least I can guard the entrance.  Lay down.”
Danny smirked, his green eyes smiling.  “You’re my mother now, are you?”
Brice grunted and grinned.  “If I was your mother you’d have grown a few more inches.”  The two of them laughed.  Brice took a deep breath and shook his head.  “Don’t do that again without Hayden around, alright?”
“I’m not promising.”  Danny groaned and pushed away from the wall.  “Pass me a clean shirt, will you?”  He made to pull the tunic over his head and gasped.
“Here.  Let me help.”  Katie tugged gently on the sleeve and helped him put it on.
“Thank you.”  He lay down and looked up at Brice.  “Don’t do anything stupid while I’m sleeping.”
“Like what?”
Danny grunted.  “Who knows with you.  And don’t drink all the jeckden.”  He smiled.  “I’m going to need some when I wake up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment